Our Board of Directors
The Board of Directors is the visionary body of Saltwater Church, asking and answering the question, “Why do we do what we do?”
Saltwater Church has six Board Members. These individuals are nominated and elected into their positions and typically serve a 3-year term. Officer roles include Board President, Board Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. The Treasurer may be a Board Member or another member of our church. The Board will also supports the committees of the Board, the Healthy Congregation Team and the Nominating Team, and the Taskforces convened by the Board. If you have any questions about the work of the Board feel free to reach out to any of our Board members. Their email addresses can be found in the directory or by contacting Katherine “Bubba” Miller, our Office Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Board Focus for this Church Year
In late August, the Board defined the following priorities for the 2022-2023 year.
- Support a full and vibrant reopening of the church. On September 11th, we had our welcome home party, with our first in-person water communion in 3 years, and new name tags. That’s just the beginning. Up next: how do we as a congregation sustain that?
- Cultivate conflict transformation skills. Coming up this fall, the Healthy Congregations Team will be leading a discussion series using the book “Transforming Conflict: the Blessings of Congregational Turmoil”. We hope you will join us as we learn how to better live our mission.
- Widen our welcome as a community. This could include outreach, membership development, leadership development.
So far, we have our general direction- our True North for the year. We’ll develop more details with your help and input, and regularly check our compass to ensure we’re still following that North Star.
The 2022-2023 Board of Directors are:
The Board of Directors meet monthly from 7-9 p.m in the Saltwater Church Zoom Room. All church Members are welcome to attend virtually. Please let the President know if you plan to join us, and introduce yourself when you sign in.
We are currently updating our website with more recent meeting minutes. Thank you for your patience.
Safety Taskforce: Our Safety Taskforce meets monthly in the Church Zoom Room. Their current focus is on our security, our outdoor lighting, and updating our emergency practices.
Nominations Committee (NomCom)
This team is responsible for finding volunteers for two positions on the Church Board and two positions for the “NomCom” itself. Team members serve a two-year commitment. The meeting time is variable. If you are interested in participating on the nominating team, please contact one of our current NomCom members.
- Mayda Taney
- Carol Mitchell
- Kathy Linnell (outgoing member at the end of June 2023)
- Laurie Bardill (outgoing member at the end of June 2023)
- Saphronia Young (incoming on July 1, 2023)
- Christina Frueh (incoming on July 1, 2023)
Healthy Congregation Team
Why have a Healthy Congregation Team at Saltwater Church?
At Saltwater Church, we recognize that occasional conflict is natural in any organization and that the difference between healthy and unhealthy organizations is not whether conflict is present, but how it is addressed. We want to address conflict in a healthy manner, and the Healthy Congregation Team helps us to this.
More specifically, the Healthy Congregation Team has three purposes:
To promote healthy communication practices within the congregation.
To consult with any member of the congregation regarding how to deal with any situation that has the potential for conflict.
To help resolve conflict between members of the congregation.
To find out more about the Healthy Congregation team and how to contact them, click here.